A Message From Owen Re July 26 Meeting
Hi Team,
It was a great session today with you all despite the delayed start due to the network connectivity issues.
It was actually a good thing that this happened as it revealed an important requirement for using technology in teaching and learning: as a facilitator/teacher you need a contingency plan for when the technology fails.
I hope the open discussion we had while waiting was as worthwhile for you all as it was for me – I think it has helped us to focus more on your needs and raised awareness of the breadth of opinions in the group regarding the project’s direction.
Thanks especially to Tania, Nicki and Danielle for getting the problem resolved! The alternative room in K Block was lovely and I hope we can have for future sessions.
You should give them all a big thank you because my fallback was to pull out my toolkit, open up one of the PCs and give you a lesson on the internals. Something I thought you would all learn from, but not very useful for achieving our educational objectives. The second string was even worse – “binary representation”!
I hope to see your reflections on the session in the Blog soon. I will post this message there and ask that you each add a comment on what you obtained from today’s session. Please be honest – I’ve got big shoulders and can cope with criticism!
So this brings us to the homework…
1. Please post a reflection on today’s session in the Blog ASAP
2. Complete the installation of HotPotatoes. Follow the instructions in the file “Introduction to HotPotatoes.doc” uploaded to the Discover-e Janison course
3. Create your first Hot Potatoes quiz and upload it to the Files area in the Discover-e Janison course. Do this to the Group files area so that other people can see your work
4. Review at least one other person’s Crossword and Quiz – post a comment in the Group Forum in Janison in reply to their description
Send me an email if you have any questions about the above.
I am really looking forward to seeing you at our next session. (I think this will be in 3 weeks time. Tania, Nicki and Danielle – can you please confirm this ASAP, including venue).
At the next lesson we will revise Hot Potatoes and have a look at building another type of formative assessment tool called an Action Maze. I will send you an annoucement about what you need to prepare to bring to this session a few days prior.
Regards to all,Owen Owen Michaels-Hardy
It was a great session today with you all despite the delayed start due to the network connectivity issues.
It was actually a good thing that this happened as it revealed an important requirement for using technology in teaching and learning: as a facilitator/teacher you need a contingency plan for when the technology fails.
I hope the open discussion we had while waiting was as worthwhile for you all as it was for me – I think it has helped us to focus more on your needs and raised awareness of the breadth of opinions in the group regarding the project’s direction.
Thanks especially to Tania, Nicki and Danielle for getting the problem resolved! The alternative room in K Block was lovely and I hope we can have for future sessions.
You should give them all a big thank you because my fallback was to pull out my toolkit, open up one of the PCs and give you a lesson on the internals. Something I thought you would all learn from, but not very useful for achieving our educational objectives. The second string was even worse – “binary representation”!
I hope to see your reflections on the session in the Blog soon. I will post this message there and ask that you each add a comment on what you obtained from today’s session. Please be honest – I’ve got big shoulders and can cope with criticism!
So this brings us to the homework…
1. Please post a reflection on today’s session in the Blog ASAP
2. Complete the installation of HotPotatoes. Follow the instructions in the file “Introduction to HotPotatoes.doc” uploaded to the Discover-e Janison course
3. Create your first Hot Potatoes quiz and upload it to the Files area in the Discover-e Janison course. Do this to the Group files area so that other people can see your work
4. Review at least one other person’s Crossword and Quiz – post a comment in the Group Forum in Janison in reply to their description
Send me an email if you have any questions about the above.
I am really looking forward to seeing you at our next session. (I think this will be in 3 weeks time. Tania, Nicki and Danielle – can you please confirm this ASAP, including venue).
At the next lesson we will revise Hot Potatoes and have a look at building another type of formative assessment tool called an Action Maze. I will send you an annoucement about what you need to prepare to bring to this session a few days prior.
Regards to all,Owen Owen Michaels-Hardy

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home